Florida Hospital for Children seeks to hire a Children Respiratory Therapist who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Florida Hospital for Children Profile
Since opening our doors in 1908, Florida Hospital has offered one of the most comprehensive children’s health programs in Central Florida. Today, we continue this legacy of pediatric excellence at the Magnet® recognized Walt Disney Pavilion at Florida Hospital for Children.
Our campus is home to 30 pediatric sub-specialties led by a team of 400+ nurses and physicians. We provide specialized care in various state-of-the-art settings, including an 81-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with private family-centered rooms, an Advanced Center for Pediatric Surgery handling nearly 4,000 cases each year, and one of the few pediatric oncology programs in the area. We’re also Central Florida’s only pediatric provider for bone marrow transplant, kidney transplant, Gamma Knife services, trilogy radiation and Level III epilepsy care. But perhaps most exciting of all, is that this is the first-and only-hospital to bear the Disney® name.
As a respiratory therapist at Walt Disney Pavilion at Florida Hospital for Children you’ll grow and thrive in a large, dynamic environment while playing an essential part in improving the lives of infants and children. You’ll become an expert in neonatal and pediatric ventilatory management, learn to guide respiratory practice using protocols and work on an interdisciplinary team. Our staff consists of Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRT), many of whom hold advanced specialty certifications such as Neonatal Pediatric Specialist (NPS), and Certified Asthma Educator (AE-C).Our department contributes to the treatment of patients at every level, including the Critical Care Transport Team, Children’s Emergency Center, intensive care units, home care teaching and discharge planning. You can also participate in patient-driven protocols, clinical research, diagnostic testing, and multidisciplinary care teams.
- Full Time: Nights, 7p – 7a; 3/12 hour shifts and every other weekend
*$4,000 Sign-on bonus and Relocation Allowance of $1,500 available for experienced external applicants.
As a Children Respiratory Therapist, you will make providing service your priority while caring for the whole person in a faith-based atmosphere.
The Advanced/Registered Respiratory Therapist is responsible for assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the treatment, care, and needs of an assigned group of patients. He / she must be able to accept leadership responsibility in the absence of a Lead Therapist / Supervisor as directed. If also performing duties as an Adult Flight Respiratory Therapist, must comply with the job requirements and perform the duties of the Flight Medicine Respiratory Therapist job description. If also performing duties as a Children’s Hospital Transport Respiratory Therapist, must comply with the job requirements and perform the duties of the Neo/Peds Transport Respiratory Therapist job description. Specific age groups are identified in the principal duties and job responsibilities section. Adheres to Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge Skills, Education & Experience Required
- Critical thinking and patient assessment skills, with the ability to evaluate and modify treatment plans utilizing patient care protocols
- Optimize the use of equipment based on order or protocol
- Ensure infection control
- Maintain records and communicate information
- Maintain a patent airway, including insertion and care of artificial airways
- Achieve optimal respiratory support including: administer oxygen, administer medications to the respiratory system, facilitate lung expansion, facilitate bronchial hygiene, provide non-invasive , invasive, and advanced modes of mechanical ventilation
- Perform ABG Puncture, analysis, arterial cannulation and hemodynamic monitoring
- Maintain current BLS certification (or obtain within 90 days of employment)
- Utilize and adapt to computer systems and applications, effective oral and written communication skills
- For adult care at appropriate campuses: ventilator patient transportation / IABP management / autotransfusion
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill to care for the pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient in a health care delivery system.
- For Altamonte, Celebration, and Winter Park: Knowledge and skill to care for the neonatal patient. Newborn oxygen therapy, newborn arterial blood gas sampling, newborn stabilization, and newborn ventilator care, current NRP certification
- Graduate of a Respiratory Therapy or Cardiopulmonary Science program, with a minimum of 1-year postgraduate critical care clinical experience.
- Must satisfactorily complete an orientation, an advanced critical care-training program or possess appropriate advanced critical care experience, a proficiency exam, and be proficient at all applicable procedures defined in the principal duties and responsibilities section of this job description.
- For Children’s Hospital: Pediatric and Neonatal experience
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required
- Current, valid State of Florida license as a Registered Respiratory Therapist
- For Children’s Hospital: pediatric and neonatal current NRP and PALS certification (or obtain within 90 days of employment)
- Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship, and Teamwork
- Practices standard precautions and enforces safety regulations according to hospital policies on a continual basis. Documents and charges for procedures accurately and completely to ensure quality standards set by the department and hospital.
- Responds to Code Blue emergencies immediately providing CPR according to the American Heart Association guidelines. Performs airway maintenance including: proper use of manual resuscitators, suctioning, extubation, assists with bronchoscopy, assists with tracheostomy tube insertion, performs LMA insertion, oral and nasal pharyngeal airway insertion, and procedural respiratory support. May perform endotracheal intubation, under direct supervision, or after completion of documented competency.
- Properly utilizes patient assessment skills, protocols, chart review, and conferring with multidisciplinary team to determine efficacy of therapy in a cost and time efficient manner making appropriate recommendations and changes per protocol. Performs respiratory therapies and oxygen delivery therapies and makes recommendations to the most efficient delivery method per protocol.
- Initiates, maintains, transports and monitors mechanical ventilators to include all conventional modes of ventilation per policy and procedure. Reviews chest radiology reports as necessary and per policy and procedure. Initiates, maintains, and monitors the delivery of Heliox therapy
- Properly performs hemodynamic procedures to include assembly and calibration of arterial lines, assisting with pulmonary artery catheter insertion, calibration; performs cardiac output and hemodynamic / cardiopulmonary profiles. May perform arterial cannulation, under direct supervision, or after completion of documented competency.
- Proactively initiates process improvement ideas. Assists with clinical instruction and precepting. Supports hospital and department mission, goals, and department metrics. Performs other duties as requested by department leadership.
- Performs blood gas and co-oximetry analysis. Performs quality control as needed. Setup and perform oximetry, apnea, TC, and ETCO2 monitoring as ordered by physician.
- Campus / Unit-Specific Duties:
- Children’s Hospital, Altamonte, Celebration, and Winter Park Neonatal Therapist: Delivers neonatal resuscitation and assists with APGAR scoring at delivery per NRP guidelines. Maintains proper equipment in labor / delivery / perinatal areas. Provides artificial surfactant replacement.
*Hiring Incentive Details:
- Must have at least 1 year of recent RT experience
- Must live outside 50 mile radius from 601 East Rollins Dr., Orlando, FL
- Rehires that are less than 12 months from separation date are NOT eligible
- Full Time 18 month employment contract with hiring unit required (Candidates that leave Florida Hospital prior to completion of the contract owe back the full amount received. Transfers to other departments will forfeit any unpaid amounts.)
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!!
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Children Respiratory Therapist opportunity with Florida Hospital for Children and apply online today.