Nemours is seeking an Advanced Practice Nurse to join our team in Wilmington, Delaware.
As one of the nation's leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 280,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
As the birthplace of the Nemours health care system, the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware, honors our legacy of delivering exceptional care to the children of the Delaware Valley and beyond. Ranked among the nation's best pediatric hospitals by U.S. News & World Report and honored with the ANCC's Magnet® Designation for excellence in nursing practice, we offer intensive and acute inpatient and outpatient services covering more than 30 pediatric specialties. We recently completed a multi-phase hospital expansion that includes new inpatient rooms, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Emergency Department. Additionally, Nemours duPont Pediatrics allows us to reach more children across the region through community-based physician services and collaborative partnerships with health and hospital systems.
Join a busy, dynamic pediatric orthopedic program caring for infants, teens and young adults. Primary patient population will be scoliosis and other spinal conditions (some with complex medical conditions), in addition to children with general orthopedic concerns. Care is provided in both the inpatient and outpatient setting. The successful candidate must possess strong communication, coordination and organizational skills, as well as flexibility and sense of teamwork. Role responsibilities include evaluation and treatment of patients in the ambulatory care center, inpatient evaluation and management, care coordination and participation in program development and community outreach. As part of our Collaborative Practice Model and patient first philosophy, our Advanced Practice Registered Nurses enjoy great professional respect for their contributions to children's health care.
This position is responsible for specialized nursing practice within the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and provides direct and indirect care to patients and their families in the inpatient, ambulatory and outpatient settings. The Orthopedic Advanced Practice Nurse performs patient examination, evaluation, documentation, parent/caregiver education, communication and coordination of care with medical/clinical staff and outside agencies as appropriate within the guidelines designated by the department and the Nemours/Delaware Valley policies and procedures.
- Practices collaboratively with physicians and other health care professionals to provide clinical services to a variety of patient types while seeking appropriate mentorship as needed.
- Performs comprehensive patient assessments, including history and physical examinations, and formulates assessment and treatment plans in the outpatient and inpatient settings.
- Orders diagnostic tests and may use prescriptive authority when authorized to do so.
- Coordinates Nursing Plan for discharge in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Communicates with physicians about changes in patient's clinical condition and results of diagnostic studies. Responds quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
- Educates parents/caregivers on patient condition and plan of care.
- Triages and responds to phone calls from patient families, physical therapists, insurance companies, etc., regarding patient care.
- Manages patients pre- and postoperatively in coordination with the medically complex team/orthopedic surgeon.
- Accurately and thoroughly records patient information in the electronic medical record in a timely manner.
- Communicates with appropriate medical staff for purposes of consultation, referral and coordination of patient care.
- Attends huddles/meetings related to patient treatment and contributes to discussion as an interdisciplinary team member.
- Consults with other services, families and outside agencies regarding patient care.
- Maintains knowledge of and familiarity with insurance referral/authorization process and documentation requirements.
- Completes all mandatory training that may include, but is not limited to, safety, infection control, corporate compliance, HIPAA, bioterrorism, CPR and program-specific training.
- Participates in coverage planning as necessary to meet patient care and departmental needs.
- When required by assignment, participates in weekend/holiday inpatient coverage rotation, if applicable.
- Must be able to work independently as well as cooperatively as part of multidisciplinary specialty teams.
- Professional Development: The Advanced Practice Nurse actively participates in departmental education activities in order to expand knowledge of patient populations and evidence-based practice; independently seeks to expand clinical knowledge and evidence-based practice through literature reviews, in-services, courses and mentorships; reviews new clinical tools; reviews discipline-specific competencies; and provides input on new treatment intervention strategies to ensure evidence-based and current practices.
- Participates in peer review process.
- Attends in-services/continuing education.
- Participates in continuous improvement projects. Actively contributes to daily management system.
- Participates in meetings/committees to enhance patient care, assists in assessing current procedures, and assists in developing methods of improvement related to patient care.
- Stays current on technological aspects of position and develops ties with professional organizations.
- Participates in activities to increase program use, awareness and marketing.
- Assists in mentoring students, department clinical staff, support personnel and volunteers.
- When applicable, provides in-service training and follows specific protocols/pathways for direct patient care issues as mandated by hospital program. Works with staff to review and revise protocols/pathways.
- Prepares and submits abstracts for poster and platform and leads programming for national and regional conferences related to specialty area. Serves on professional association committees. Leads and/or attends meetings as scheduled.
- Maintains and increases knowledge base through participation in appropriate professional activities and organizations.
A Master's degree is required, as well as three years of related clinical experience.
- Possesses clinical and technical skills as outlined in clinical competencies.
- Demonstrates commitment to the Nemours Standards of Behavior.
- Consistently uses the AIDET Service Excellence Model to exhibit customer service and service recovery skills to person served and other stakeholders.
- Works well independently as well with others as part of a team; extends him/herself to team; makes work environment comfortable for colleagues.
- Thinks proactively, schedules time efficiently, demonstrates good attendance.
- Builds and fosters professional relationships.
- Stays current on technological aspects of position.
- Takes direction, accepts feedback appropriately, demonstrates willingness to accept change.
- Demonstrates good listening skills and possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Makes timely decisions and asks questions as appropriate for patient safety, departmental systems flow, etc.
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique “Bridge to a Healthy Future” pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.
For more information and to Express Your Interest in less than 60 seconds, please visit http://careers.nemours.org/jobs/130212/