Advanced Practice Registered Nurses / Physician Assistants
The Nurse Practitioner has the responsibility and accountability for providing primary care to clinic patients as allowed under the Louisiana Nurse Practice Act. Practice will remain within the scope delineated by education/training. The NP provides care and treatment, including routine care to adolescents and children, in accordance with health center policies and protocols. The NP is responsible for participating in development, execution of and periodic review of the written policies governing the services which the health center provides. The NP, in conjunction with the Medical Director, participates in the periodic review of the patient's health records under his/her care. The NP arranges for or refers patients to needed services that cannot be provided at the health center. The NP assures that adequate patient health records are maintained and transferred as required when patients are referred to other providers.
This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the Mission of CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital. It is expected that the associate demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The associate shall support the CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini's strategic plan and the goals and direction of their Performance Improvement Plan (PIP)
Action Oriented -- Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
Collaborate -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
1. PROVIDES PRIMARY HEALTH CARE IN THE SCHOOL SETTING
2. Elicit pertinent medical and psycho-social history including patient profile, chief complaint, and history of present illness, past medical history, social history and review of body systems.
3. Perform a physical examination as pertinent, modifying the examination for the nature of the complaint or problem, age/sex of patient and physical / mental condition of the student.
4. Order and /or perform laboratory, x-ray and diagnostic studies appropriate for complaint, age, race, sex and physical condition of student.
5. Document in the medical record according to policy and procedure.
6. Allow for privacy and modesty in the provision of care.
7. Complete medical evaluation forms including sports physicals and medical home physicals on qualifying students.
8. Differentiate between normal and abnormal (including variations of normal) information obtained from history, physical and screening examination of the adolescents and pediatric patients.
9. Develop preliminary interpretation of diagnostic test and other data results, (history, physical, laboratory, and x-ray studies) with impression as to severity, etiology and immediacy of patient's problem.
10. Establish diagnosis of common problems with physician/medical director consultation and guidance as appropriate.
11. Develop plan of care for students with follow up and referrals as needed.
12. Apply established therapeutic practices to patient's problem within the scope of practice demonstrating sound clinical judgement in decision-making.
13. Administer / prescribe medications as needed.
14. Initiate appropriate management for emergency situations until EMS is available.
15. PROVIDES FOR THE EDUCATION/TRAINING OF THE PATIENT/FAMILY
16. Develop a health management plan considering patient's problem, age, sex, race and condition and involve patient's family as appropriate.
17. Identifies and documents patient/family educational needs upon initial assessment.
18. Identifies barriers to learning.
19. Provides teaching based on identified needs. (cultural, ethnic factors, functional)
20. Evaluates the effectiveness of instruction provided.
21. Advocates on behalf of students concerning physical health issues between parent, physician, and community.
22. DEMONSTRATES KNOWLEDGE OF NP SPECIFIC POLICIES AND PROCEDURES AND THE ABILITY TO SAFELY AND COMPETENTLY PERFORM QUALITY PATIENT CARE.
23. Maintains continuing education as need for licensure.
24. Attends hospital-wide and school-based health in-services to maintain and increase knowledge of related issues.
25. Familiar with policies, manuals, and chain of communications.
26. Completed Unit Specific Annual Competency Checklist.
27. Obtains necessary training prior to initial procedure/equipment use.
28. Assures equipment is in operating order prior to use, adhering to operating guidelines and differentiates between patient complications and equipment malfunction.
29. PROVIDES SUPERVISION FOR RN IN CENTER
30. Conducts chart review of RNs maintaining scheduling and forms.
31. Conducts annual department competencies checklist with RN.
32. Orientates RN to new skills.
33. Provides care in the health center when RN is absent.
34. Available to RN by telephone for consultation when not on site.
One-year recent experience preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication skills English required, bilingual (English/Spanish; English/French)preferred
Current Louisiana RN/NP License
Current BLS Card or obtained within 6 months of hire
CHRISTUS HEALTH is an international Catholic, faith-based, not-for-profit health system comprised of almost more than 600 services and facilities, including more than 60 hospitals and long-term care facilities, 350 clinics and outpatient centers, and dozens of other health ministries and ventures. CHRISTUS operates in 6 U.S. states, Colombia, Chile and 6 states in Mexico. To support our health care ministry, CHRISTUS Health employs approximately 45,000 Associates and has more than 15,000 physicians on medical staffs who provide care and support for patients. CHRISTUS Health is listed among the top ten largest Catholic health systems in the United States.