We are seeking a Linux System Administrator with experience in database scalability (preferably MySQL/MariaDB) and an enthusiasm for DevOps. You would work primarily with our REDCap application , a data capture tool with over one million users at research institutions across the planet. Your near-term goal would focus on the REDCap database where you would enhance scalability and improve our backup and disaster recovery processes - both of which have become crucial to REDCap's continued growth and sustainability. In addition to the long-term maintenance of this database, you would work to improve and automate operations on a variety of DevOps and system administration projects in support of REDCap and other clinical research applications hosted in the VUMC data center as well as cloud providers like AWS and Google.
Administers and manages large scale, enterprise systems of high-complexity.
Architects business computing environments.
Mitigates hardware/software issues, performance bottlenecks and overall system health concerns.
Proactively ensures adherence to relevant security policies and regulatory governances.
Provides technical guidance to the Vanderbilt community.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
SERVER SECURITY (ADVANCED):
- Has led security initiatives that have resulted in the design of security interfaces and/or facilities to support company-wide security systems and products. Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in applying security practices in challenging and complex situations. Consistently delivers security products and services in a creative and imaginative manner while setting a standard for others. Has worked with security suppliers in suggesting improvements to products.
NETWORK OPERATING SYSTEMS (INTERMEDIATE):
- Knows all commands of the network operating system and can help others in resolving general operating system issues. Experienced in basic restart/recovery procedures and has working knowledge of communication and user interface aspects of the operating system. Considers operating system capabilities when designing. Able to install and configure operating system parameters such as peripheral devices, network interfaces and drivers.
SERVER MONITORING AND TUNING (INTERMEDIATE):
- Demonstrates knowledge of what metrics are available, understands their meaning, and can produce sophisticated reports. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering products and services using the skill without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to direct associates of lower proficiencies on where to find data. Performs statistical analysis with performance tuning data.
SERVER INSTALLATION AND UPGRADE (INTERMEDIATE):
- Has the ability to install software using vendor-supplied and company-developed procedures. Demonstrates the ability to use core utility programs in the installation and maintenance of systems. Demonstrates the ability to quickly analyze and resolve problems that may arise during a software installation. Demonstrates the ability to create and use complex utility programs to facilitate software installations.
SERVER ADMINISTRATION (INTERMEDIATE):
- Demonstrates mastery of the skill in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering products and services using the skill without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a "go-to" resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
About the Department:
The Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical & Translational Research (VICTR) is Vanderbilt's virtual home for clinical and translational research. Supported by Vanderbilt University Medical Center's Office of Research and the NIH-sponsored Clinical and Translational Service Award (CTSA), the mission of the institute is to transform the way ideas and research discoveries make their way from origin to patient care. VICTR functions to help researchers and clinicians do their jobs better by providing tools and support to improve the quality of research, publications, grant writing, and training for future doctors and researchers. For more information, please visit https://victr.vumc.org/ .
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments:
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments.
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Internal Number: 1909908
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.